Sunday, August 12, 2012

Carrots

One of my deformed carrots

According to my mother my grandfather always said that you can't grow carrots in Vancouver. He would know, but I would love to prove him wrong. So far I haven't been so successful.

I bought a packet of assorted carrots in different colors. I have had some success with mostly the lighter colored carrots for some reason but the rest all have legs and look pretty strange. I don't know if color actually makes a difference or not but that is what has happened. They are also quite stubby. They still taste good but there just isn't much to eat. I am going to try again next year but after that I will move on.

Apparently they split like this because they hit a lump in the soil. My soil has lots of lumps being pretty new. Next year I might try putting sand where the carrots are going to be. They also don't like manure, one more thing to remember, pretty fussy I must say...

No comments:

Post a Comment