Monday, April 4, 2011

Frustrated Gardener

I have had my name on the list for a community garden plot for a year now but at last count I was number 97. Hopefully next year I will finally get a garden again. In the meantime I will have to be content with my balcony. It will be mainly flowers as it is quite small.

We have critters who have eaten all of my 160 crocus that I put out in the fall but so far the bedding plants that I planted last year seem to be okay. We moved into the townhouse 8 months ago and I pretty much took everything except for a few things out of the flower bed in the back. I planted bee balm from our last house and it is spreading nicely. I also put in some other little cuttings from the house and a bag of 10 flowering plants that I picked up at Thrifty's. It is a very small space. There was a rather sad hydrangea in the back that was infected with something strange so I cut it back and it looks rather sad. There are a few new buds now but it is looking kind of lopsided. I'm hoping that with some TLC it will come back. I put compost and mulch on the beds last fall and keeping my fingers crossed.

I bought a few mason bees for my new little bee house and hope that will also help my little backyard spot.



The hummingbirds are also back and hungry. They will enjoy the bee balm when it comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment