Sunday, May 6, 2012

Progress



Finally the weather is cooperating and the little garden had a very productive few days. John finished up the fence and gate and it is beautiful. I'm loving it! I especially love the curve on the top of the gate. A much better feeling walking up and seeing my little oasis. So much better now that it is lower too.



My hubby and I spent a couple of hours yesterday filling those boxes with composted manure. Four wheelbarrow loads and my back and arms are sore. I hope it isn't too much manure but hopefully with the soil that is in there it will work. I'm going to top dress with a bit of compost (store bought). With any luck next year I will have lots of my own to use. I'm bringing my kitchen scraps every week to add to the pile. I have to go scrounging around to find some leaves for it. It also looks like I will need to get some kind of mulch for the potatoes and tomatoes and straw seems to be the thing to get. I don't even know where you buy a bale of straw. Not something I think they sell at Home Depot or a garden centre.

My paths are a bit muddy due to the wet weather and will need a bit of a fix but all in good time.

I have the day off tomorrow (Monday) and we are due to have another nice dry day so will be off to plant a few things and to perhaps install my little pop up greenhouse for the tomatoes. It should warm the soil for them so I can plant them in a couple of weeks. I noticed that everyone has planted tomatoes in their greenhouses already so it must be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment