Monday, September 9, 2013

When life hands you lemons... make tomato sauce!


Well, better safe than sorry. I thought long and hard about my tomatoes and decided to head to the garden after work on Friday and pick them all. It was hard to do but necessary.

From what I have heard and know about tomatoes it would only be a brief moment and I could lose them all. This way at least most of them have a fighting chance to ripen. They are mostly all in good shape with only a few of them going bad. It was the best decision that I think could have made.

There were a lot of tomatoes packed in there. I had trouble carrying them all back to my car.


I overheard someone say that it was the fog that spreads the blight but I guess I will never really know. Luck of the draw why some tomatoes get it and some don't. Perhaps it is because mine were heritage tomatoes, although you would think that would make them hardier. The strange part is that I babied them, made sure they were covered from the rain and always made sure that I came out to water them if it was hot. At home I put five extra plants in my side yard. They aren't covered and have been braving the elements and so far so good. They don't have as many tomatoes as I wasn't quite as diligent about trimming the plants back but they are starting to ripen now. I will watch them carefully but I think maybe because there are no other tomatoes around might be part of it. Of course maybe they like the fish water from the pond?

Of course now I have 5 bags of ripening tomatoes. Since everything will be ripening at once it looks like I will be roasting a lot of them for tomato sauce.

P.S. I think the mouse ate all my beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment