Sunday, August 5, 2012

Zucchini!



Ah yes, zucchini, every gardener's dream and nightmare. You either love it or hate it. I have to admit, it is pretty rewarding to grow. In the right circumstances you can harvest an amazing amount from one plant. Stand there and you can almost watch them grow. It is rather incredible. You have to stay on top of it though. Miss a couple of days and you have that monster vegetable that makes you leave your home at midnight and depositing them on your neighbour's doorstep as you giggle all the way home. For the record I have never actually done that.

And yes, YOU ONLY NEED ONE PLANT!

Luckily I like zucchini but when they are small. I tried to give away a couple of small ones to friends as I thought they would love them but faces and comments were made like "they are rather slimy" or "eww it isn't a vegetable I would ever eat except in a loaf".

They don't know what they are missing. I'm one of those people who actually even buy it in the winter.

My usual way of cooking them is to sauté in a little butter and either add mushrooms or tomatoes. Deep fried zucchini sticks are good with a dipping sauce, but I never make them. I will however, if I do get an abundance (I hate to presume) try baking them. A little healthier.

Suddenly my planting scarlet runner beans around my zucchini doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I still manage to get a few zucchini but not as many as my fellow gardeners. My neighbour had bags of the stuff and HUGE!! She asked hopefully if I would like some and said "take all you want". I actually took two and gave one to my zucchini hater friend who hates zucchini but loves zucchini bread.

I grated mine and got 6 cups of shredded zucchini. A loaf of zucchini bread is always tasty and the rest goes in the freezer for those winter loaves.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment