Monday, January 21, 2013

Resolutions

I don't make normal resolutions, they are too easy to break.

I try and make mine fun. No not eating wheat, drinking wine, coffee, going to the gym every day. I know it just wouldn't work. Sure I might do it for a week or two but it is too boring for me.


I got four new cookbooks this year and my resolution was to try and cook something new from each every week. Even that I had trouble with. Who knew that ingredients were so hard to find.

One of the books I received was the new Barefoot Contessa book Foolproof. Great book with pretty nice looking recipes. The first recipe I chose looked pretty easy. It was a pasta dish with two kinds of sausage and a vegetable I had never tried before called Broccoli Rabe. Simple right? First I had to hunt for the pasta. It was a dried pasta called Orecchiette. My grocery store used to have a specialty isle for imported pasta but when I went to look they had gotten rid of it and there were just mason jars there instead. I looked for Broccoli Rabe, again a big no. I knew I saw it the week before at Kins which was why I thought I could try this recipe. I went to Kins next and this week they did not have it. I had already bought the sausage and I asked if just regular Broccoli would do and I was told that no, it has a very distinct taste. However,  I did find the Orecchiette at an Italian market around the corner, Yay!

Intrigued, I kept hunting. To make a long story short I checked out three more stores including Whole Foods and even they didn't have it. I finally found it of all places at Extra Foods. I'm thinking that wow, if this is good maybe I will have to try growing some in the garden.

The recipe was pretty simple and I loved the Orecchiette, lovely little pockets that were filled with a yummy tomato sauce. The Broccoli Rabe, well.... definitely an acquired taste. It has a kind of bitter taste which wasn't bad but I can't say that I loved it. Kind of like kale, I don't mind it but I'm not loving it... yet. I'm not altogether done with it and who knows I may try growing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment