Saturday, January 26, 2013

Spring is coming!

Oh yes, I'm sure of it.... well maybe. I saw some buds on a Magnolia tree so that is my first sign. Yes, and the snow is starting to melt. I'm still putting out some suet for the Stellar Jays, Flickers, Thrush, Juncos  and the little native squirrel that has been hanging around. I feel pretty sorry for them this time of year, I know it must be hard to find food. Summer they are on their own.

I'm all signed up for a couple of seminars at Amsterdam Greenhouse. The first one is slated for February 9th, starting seeds indoors. I want to take a trip there anyway and buy some soil for my seed starters and perhaps some seeds.

I saw something very intriguing while looking on Pintrest the other day and it looks like a very cool idea. It is for making mini greenhouses out of milk cartons. I have actually been saving them for a couple of weeks for the spring to put over my tender plants but this is a really cool idea.


The link for the article is on Kevin Lee Jacob's website A Garden for the House. I haven't had the time to really look at his website entirely but it looks great. I can't wait to explore it. There are some pretty cool ideas here! This will be great to start all those flowers I want to put in the back yard. The nice thing is that they will pretty much be hardened off as well. Not like the ones I'm going to start inside. I will probably start my tomatoes and cucumbers and eggplant inside but from the sounds of it they would be fine outside according to this method.

I'm also thinking of doing a small raised bed in a dead area of the yard. Herbs and perhaps chard/kale/spinach and some lettuces would do well there. Unless of course they are tasty to the racoons. The rest will be flowers, flowers flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment