Monday, May 27, 2013

Location, Location


I have lived in many different homes over the years and it wasn't until this last go round that I realized how important location was. It took a number of years to figure that out and at the ripe old age of 58 I think I've got it.

When I was younger it didn't seem to matter as much as long as it was in a safe neighbourhood, but over the years you develop a list of the things that you don't want after having to live in less than ideal areas. It is hard however, when you have a budget to get at least most of the things on your "list"

Over the years the list got longer and longer. Suffice it to say the most important was always never to live on a busy street, did that once and tried to never do it again. Sometimes you get surprised like in our brand new house in a brand new neighbourhood a few years ago. Not a busy street when we moved in but by the time we sold (two years later) it was a lot busier when they punched a road through where the nice little farmhouse was when we moved in.

With our current place we had been looking for what seemed to be forever. We lost a really nice townhouse because we hadn't sold ours yet and couldn't make a firm offer. It was a revelation to me because for the first time since we had figured out my "rules" I saw something that made me change my mind. It was something that I never thought mattered. A view. The townhouse needed work and it was actually a bit noisy as it was above a busy road and the noise would travel up. However I looked out the window over the river, cranberry fields and mountains and I could imagine myself living there. I was in love and bitterly disappointed when it didn't happen. It wasn't meant to be but at the time I didn't take much comfort in it.

Down to the wire after putting an offer on another place I was upset because deep in my heart I knew it just wasn't right. We only had 24 hours to make up our minds for sure and that was when it happened. We walked into a light bright duplex with the most beautiful garden and I knew that was it. It was love at first sight. There were some speed bumps along the way but in the end it all worked out and I had my view!

I guess I am telling the story because I was watching some Chickadees a few weeks ago in the yard. I had put up a very nice birdhouse that I had brought with me. It had previous Chickadees for tenants so I knew it would make a great home. It was freshly cleaned but I didn't quite know where to put it. I put it on the arbour which wasn't as high as I would like but I thought it would be okay, I certainly wouldn't be bothering them. There was also a house, not a proper one mind, that came with our house. It has faded flowers painted on the side and is so high up it wouldn't be too easy to take down and clean. I'm not even sure it could be cleaned. To make this long story short, it was cute to see them inspect the homes and I thought for sure they had picked the one lower down. It was the nicer house. They would nip in and out and then head for the other one. For a while I didn't see them and I thought oh well I guess there was too much going on the back yard for them.

Today I noticed that they picked the one high up and away from us people. It probably has a nice view and better location up there. I hope they will be as happy in their new home as we are in ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment