Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hummingbird Heaven


Last year at this time I was in hummingbird heaven. We had so many at our new house it was like a dream come true. This year it doesn't seem like we have had as many judging from the hummingbird water intake but we still have quite a few customers. They are a feisty bunch again this year so it is no wonder that I'm not going through as much water as they chase each other away constantly.

Our little male hummingbird that was with us all spring moved on and we have all females or young ones. I can't tell but there are a few really scruffy looking nervous ones and I'm kind of assuming they must be youngsters.

I hear them at the allotment garden as well and they love it there with all the flowers. One surprised me at my Bee Balm and I think I surprised him just by being there standing still. 

I absolutely love the little birds. I usually put out the feeder at the end of February and don't take it down again until the last one leaves around the beginning of October. There are always stragglers at the start and at the end. I'm already sad to think that soon these little jewels will be gone...

I will miss them.

Hummingbird being watched by a plastic hummingbird

Hummingbird amongst the sweet peas

No comments:

Post a Comment