Thursday, August 22, 2013

The butternut squash saga


Yes, now I know this is an acorn squash.

Does anyone else have forgetful moments like this? For the past few months I have been thinking that I was growing butternut squash. I was dreaming of making butternut squash ravioli and butternut squash soup. Not that I won't do that, but sadly it won't be my home grown butternut squash.

I have to admit I get somewhat confused at the squash family. Zucchini is easy but I get mixed up with the others, obviously. I kept looking at the abundance of all these little squashes and thinking how well they were doing but for some reason they were round and I was sure butternut was a different shape.  Yes, silly girl it is!

I vaguely remember eating some acorn squash at a friends house thinking this is yummy, I should grow it. After looking at my seed packet, it was confirmed to be an interesting yellow, green acorn squash. I don't know what happened, maybe they didn't have any butternut squash seeds when I bought my seeds, who knows! Perhaps my subconscious was trying to tell me something. That is fine, I am very happy with the little guys and hope that I didn't pick this one too early. There seem to be quite a lot of them. Some are a good size and some are still teeny so they probably won't mature but we will see. I read that if the skin was hard they are ready and they seemed to be quite hard.

I plan to eat this one and test it out this weekend. Looks like I will be on my own eating it however as my hubby doesn't really like squash too much although he does make an exception for zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment