Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eggplant Pizza!

For the first time ever I decided to grow eggplant. I actually bought two for a dollar each at Amsterdam Nursery this spring. I figured for a buck why not try it. I harvested the last two little eggplants and will perhaps try a little eggplant parmesan with them. They are pretty tiny.

One of the plants was a Japanese eggplant and they were pretty nice in stir fries but I didn't get too many. Wrong location as they didn't get much sun as they were shaded from my towering sunflowers and sweet peas.  I kind of just threw them in as an experiment but I will definitely give them a good sunny spot next year. The plants don't get huge so I will probably plant them beside some pepper plants where there is no shade. Since I am going to rig up a proper greenhouse for my tomatoes they can have a head start in my portable greenhouse. At least that is the plan for now.


A couple of weeks ago I harvested three of my eggplants, they are so cute I just love them. I really hated to pick them. The only thing I have ever eaten them in is moussaka which I love but since Andy isn't too keen on it and I thought I would try something special that we both would enjoy. I figured pizza might be interesting.

I added lots of cheese to the top of this

I found a pizza recipe online from Epicurious and decided to give it a try. I didn't follow the recipe exactly after reading the reviews and it was lovely. I used my own crust recipe which was wonderful and crispy and also put added some pizza sauce with some pesto on the base. Of course lots of cheese. Even Andy liked it. My only complaint was that when I reheated it the next day I found the eggplant slightly bitter. The solution to that would be to eat it all the same day or invite a couple of eggplant loving friends over.

Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment