Monday, October 1, 2012

Roasted Tomatoes

Before
Sigh, the last of the summer tomatoes. These ones were ripened in newspaper. The left ones are heirloom and the right ones are my early girls. I wouldn't normally roast tomatoes as I love them too much raw, but they aren't quite as tasty if they don't ripen on the vine. Don't get me wrong they are good, very very good but they kind of lend themselves to roasting.

It is so easy and they will be lovely in the winter when all you have is canned tomatoes for sauces. I will just add these to what I have to enhance the sauce and enjoy a bit of summer. Roasting them sweetens them up.

You simply cut them up in half or bigger pieces and place (not overlapping) in a preferably glass dish. You can add any kind of herbs with it. I added fresh basil for my first batch and then ran out of herbs so I used a bit of parsley and dried thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil to coat the tomatoes. I threw in some garlic cloves as well. Roast in a 300 degree oven for at least two hours. Turn off oven and let sit for a while. I went shopping, came back and put them in a zip lock bag and froze them. The smell in the house was heavenly.

After

No comments:

Post a Comment