Sunday, October 14, 2012

Last days of Summer


Technically it is actually Fall but the weather has been glorious. Second week in October and the temperatures during the day are lovely and warm. There has been a frost in the garden as the temperature dips at night but that is to be expected. The warm spell is supposed to last until next weekend so I actually went out twice this holiday weekend and did some more clean up.

I pretty much dug in all my bits of plant material after cutting them up into little pieces. My thought is it should compost down by the spring. My garlic also went in today. It took up one entire bed which is a big chunk of real estate in my garden. If it all comes up I will have a ton of garlic. There won't be anything to harvest until next August which seems like an awfully long way away. I'm thinking that perhaps I didn't dig them deep enough so I might need to add an additional layer of something more on top. The next step anyway is to rake some leaves and cover all the beds as a mulch. They say you should plant a cover crop of rye or something (not on the garlic) but it is a bit of work to turn it in and then you have to wait to plant. If the leaves don't decompose by spring I will just add them to the compost. I may do it on some of the beds next year.


Nothing is in now except for a row of carrots and they won't mind the cool weather. I picked a bunch this weekend so I won't be needing any more for a few weeks. They will do better in the ground than in my fridge anyway. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my carrots. I was pretty bad about thinning them and you can see I did have quite a few small ones and deformed ones but all in all I have quite a few and they taste pretty good.

I found a great recipe for roasting carrots and actually all root veggies and I love it. Simple and brings out the nice flavour of them. I found the recipe through Pintrest which is quckly becoming my favorite source.


No comments:

Post a Comment