Monday, October 8, 2012

The cleanup continues...


I spent more time at my plot this weekend trying to prepare it for winter. I've decided not to wait until spring before spreading some of my compost around. What better time than now to try and put it in each of my raised beds. Next year I will move the compost to a different spot and the spot where it is now will no doubt be prime real estate!

It is pretty heavy stuff. Of course I have layers of uncomposted stuff on top so it is a bit of a chore to find the good stuff and it is kind of heavy. Full of worms though so while trying to be careful of them, I'm trying to get some into each bed. They are also getting lots of cut up bits of plant material which should, compost down through the winter. I'm starting to take things home, my wire compost bin, my garden tags and the sticks that I will use next year. It will do them no good to sit around in the wet wet winter that I'm sure is coming.

The huge sunflowers had to be staked up, they were so large and heavy they were starting to topple over. My hubby had a brilliant idea to stake them with my bamboo sticks. I said there was no way a couple of sticks would work but they did much to my surprise and worked beautifully. Thanks Andy! Because the beds are raised the sticks are propped against the edges.  The birds have already been feasting on them. They don't look ready to me but I guess they know best.


There is still work to be done but not too much. I was itching to go out today but will make a trip next weekend. Next years project, a fence between my plot and the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment