Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy first family day BC!

It is a bit drizzly outdoors today so the perfect time to stay inside. The little squawking Stellar Jays were making a racket outside (early) so I threw them a few peanuts to keep them quiet. I have been trying to wean them off (good luck with that one) as my hubby says that he thought he saw a rat in the back yard. It was dark though so maybe it was the squirrel. Of course that is enough to scare me and he knows it! He hates the messy peanut shells around the yard.


To take advantage of the lovely day off, I decided to make some bread. A friend from work has made the Rye bread recipe on the back of the Rogers No Additive Rye bread so I thought I would give it a whirl. She said it turned out really well and I figured that this would make up partially for not trying anything new last week.

Years ago I fell in love with Elsie's Rye Bread from the Bakery of the same name on Yew Street in Kitsilano right near the beach. It was heaven and it sold out fast, so when I was down there I would buy as much as I could afford and keep it in the freezer. It was lovely toasted with natural peanut butter. Yum, I can still taste it. Sadly Elsie's is not there anymore replaced by something more trendy I guess but I still miss their bread.

It will be interesting to see how mine turns out.

Rogers Basic Rye Bread

Mix together
  • 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
  • 1 tbsp yeast
Mix in small bowl and let proof for 10 minutes until foamy

While yeast is proofing mix together the following in a large bowl:
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp caraway seeds
  • 1 3/4 cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 cups in additive dark rye flour
  • 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Add everything together and start kneading

Place in greased bowl and let rise

It should double it's size

Shape into two loaves and after resting 20 minutes slash the tops, cover and let rise again

I'm not big on giving detailed instructions as they are on the back of the bag. It is pretty easy. You basically knead everything together, put in greased bowl, cover, let it rise, punch it down when it rises, shape into two loaves, rest a few min, make slits in top, cover, let rise again and bake at 375˚ for 40-50 minutes. I'm thinking that perhaps these might have been nicer in two loaf pans instead of free form. Oh well.....

Okay and now while it is rising I'm going to start another mini outdoor greenhouse with Columbine!

Will post a picture later of the finished product and how it compares to Elsie's

No comments:

Post a Comment