Sunday, February 17, 2013

Trying to be optimistic!


It is February 17th and I put out my hummingbird feeder. My hubby thinks I'm crazy and I will admit that I probably am. I usually wait until March 15th but I can't wait. I need to be optimistic or I will go crazy. It takes my mind away from all the other things going on right now.

Watching them is one of my favorite things in the world to do and I am so looking forward to seeing these feisty little guys again.

My feeders (I have four) have perches on them so they can rest while they are drinking. I don't put them all out at the same time but I usually just switch them out so there is no waiting. They get rather mad at you if you take the food away even for a few minutes. One of my best moments was when I was carrying the feeder outside and a little guy couldn't wait, landed on the feeder and started drinking as I was holding it. He kept looking at me but still kept drinking while I tried not to move.

The formula is simple 1 part sugar to 4 parts water and boil for a couple of minutes. Let cool and that is it. Never add food coloring and honestly I wouldn't go for those pre-packaged food either. You don't need to do it. If it is hot outside the feeders should be cleaned and changed every 2-3 days. I don't have that problem where we are living now as I am in hummingbird heaven. Last year at peak season I went through 4 cups of sugar water a day. I can't go away on holidays during the summer!

I'm going to revamp the back yard so that there are lots of flowers for them but it all takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment