Sunday, February 24, 2013

Starting your veggies early

Okay, so much for being optimistic. It has been snowing pretty much ever since I put out the hummingbird feeder so down it came. It is pretty wet snow so not much is sticking but snow just the same. Such is life. I felt pity for the birds so I put out another suet cake because of the snow. Hopefully if there is a rat he is long gone....

I did see a huge black squirrel though and must have been 20 Stellar Jays. I hope they know the gravy train is over once Spring is here. Okay, maybe I will still throw them a few peanuts if I'm outside. I'm a sucker for their pointy heads. They are pretty noisy though.

I went to another seminar at Amsterdam Greenhouse yesterday on starting your veggies early. Quite informative and I bought a couple of patio potato bags to try on the back patio. I always have way too many potatoes to plant since they don't sell half bags and I thought this might be fun. It will be great for those early potatoes as you can open up the sides and steal the tiny tasty potatoes out of them. I guess they can actually be planted now. Okay, maybe not up the mountain where we are but soon.

The other thing that you can plant outside now are peas and of course kale. They said to dig a trench about 12 inches deep for the peas and put in some compost in the bottom. Plant your peas and then cover them up with some soil but don't fill to the top. As they start to grow, keep adding soil. The trench keeps them protected as they are deeper and the plants are stronger by the time they actually get to the top. Makes sense and I think I will try it. My problem is that I only have the weekends and if it rains constantly like it has been it is difficult to get down to the garden. It would be lovely to have a garden outside the back door.  Of course I could start a few things under my grow lights but I might wait a couple of weeks. I'm feeling a bit lazy....

Despite the snow up on the mountain, Spring is coming, I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment