Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saucy Sunday


Actually this was last weeks dinner. Not really a new recipe but one that is becoming one of my favorites. I got the onion idea from a Bon Appetit recipe. In a dutch oven I took a can of whole tomatoes (I use good Italian ones) and place a couple of cut raw onions. I let this simmer for a while. I also added a splash of red wine. After it has simmered for about half an hour I added my last (sigh) package of frozen roasted tomatoes from the garden as well as two cups of frozen grated zucchini, (also from my garden). To this I added good sized ground beef meatballs. You could mix ground beef with pork sausage as well but I didn't have any on hand. To the ground beef mixture I added some chopped onion, breadcrumbs and some dried oregano. Let simmer again with the lid on until the meatballs are done. Meanwhile I cooked the fettuccine until al dente; drained and added a spash of olive oil and a good tablespoon of pesto.


It was pretty yummy. 


This bird seed bread was awesome too and I was pretty proud of myself. It makes two loaves and is quite easy to make. This was from a great bread website called The Knead for Bread. You will find the recipe there.

1 comment: