Sunday, March 31, 2013

Soaring into Spring!


What a glorious four day weekend! I couldn't ask for nicer weather, absolutely stunning. Last weekend I noticed that the swallows had started to return to the community garden. This weekend it seemed like there were even more of the lovely birds swooping around and claiming their homes. There are lots of homes at the garden for them. Some look not to be in the greatest shape but there are a lot of new ones there this year for them to choose from. Maybe next year I will get that done and put one up.


The down side of all this or upside if you are like me is that there is lots of work to be done outside this time of year. Most of the work this weekend was done in our back yard. My little allotment plot is pretty much all ready to go. My hubbie is still promising to build me a little side fence and get my tomato greenhouse going but it can wait until May-June. We did go out for a few minutes on the weekend and I planted some Swiss Chard. I should have planted some carrots too, not sure what I was thinking there. Nothing much is happening yet. No signs of my potatoes or peas. The garlic isn't quite as great as I had hoped and it looks like there are a few spaces but time will tell.


The rhubarb is looking much better than last year and there might be a pie in it for sure. The second year I know you can't harvest too much so next year will be the year of lots of rhubarb pies.

Yum!

Here is a picture of the pie I made a couple of years ago for my Dad for Father's Day. He loves rhubarb pie.


Lastly on the note of delicious things. I have finally, finally found a great and simple recipe for sauteed kale. Again, I found the article on Pintrest and here is the link. I adjusted it slightly by adding sauteed onion.

I cleaned the kale and took out the stem and then gave it a rough chop. I diced some fresh garlic and sliced a medium sized onion. I then sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil on medium. I find the garlic doesn't have such a tendency to burn if it is with the onion. After the onion has softened you add the stock and the kale and cover for about five minutes and let steam. You then take the lid off and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper and I added balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. The onions added a sweetness that I really liked. Definitely be making this one again. The other recipe that they mention is a kale pesto which would be a brilliant way to use up the kale in the summer and wouldn't that be nice to be pulling out nice pesto from the freezer in the winter to add to your sauces. For sure I will be trying that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment